If you’re a homeowner, it makes sense to have plans in place that protect you, your family and your home. Insurance policies are designed to provide financial safeguards and valuable peace of mind.


Life policies provide a tax-free cash lump sum for those you leave behind in the event of your death. If you have a mortgage, it’s a big financial responsibility and no one would want to leave their family with money worries at a sad and difficult time.

There are other types of plan that protect growing families, such as critical illness cover, which means that if you are diagnosed with a serious illness as defined in your policy, there’s a cash payout to help alleviate financial worries. Income protection policies provide an income should you suffer an accident or illness and be unable to work. Accident, sickness and unemployment policies provide a monthly payout that would help pay your mortgage and other living costs in the event of an accident, sickness or involuntary unemployment.


Buildings insurance covers you for damage to the structure of your home. When you take out a mortgage, your lender will require that you have buildings insurance in place, and that it covers the cost of rebuilding the property and its permanent fixtures and fittings. The rebuilding cost isn’t the same as your property’s market value, it’s generally a lower figure which will be detailed in your lender’s valuation report or arrived at by using an online calculator.

Unlike buildings insurance, mortgage lenders don’t insist that you have cover for your home contents; however, it makes sense to protect them against risks like burglary, fire and flood. You can also arrange insurance for valuable items like jewellery, and those belongings you use away from home, such as laptops.

If you could use some help in ensuring you have the right protection policies for your needs, do get in touch.